- J.D., Boalt Hall, 1964.
- Associate Editor, California Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- B.S., University of California (Berkeley), 1960.
- 1972-present: Professor of Law, Golden Gate University
- Appellate Advocacy
- Civil Procedure
- Comparative Criminal Procedure
- Constitutional Law
- Criminal Law
- Criminal Procedure
- Landlord-Tenant Law
- 1972: Director of Litigation, Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County
- 1968-71: Chief Attorney, National Housing Law Project, Berkeley, Calif. (helping poverty law attorneys conduct housing law litigation)
- 1967-68: Directing Attorney, Marysville Office of California Rural Legal Assistance (representing farmworkers and other rural poor people).
- 1965-66: Associate attorney with Dinkelspiel & Dinkelspiel, San Francisco (commercial practice)
- 1966: Staff attorney, General Counsel’s Office, U.S. Office of Economic Opportunity, Wash., D.C.
- 1964-65: Law Clerk to Mr. Justice Raymond Peters, California Supreme Court.
- Appointed by California State Bar Board of Governors to State Bar Committee on Appellate Courts.
- Appointed by Governor to Chair of California Commission of Housing & Community Development. Served from 1976 to 1981.
- Expert witness on landlord-tenant law and practice.
- Consultant to private attorneys on landlord-tenant law and appellate practice.
- Director, Appellate Advocacy Institute, at Golden Gate University (holding moot courts for lawyers with cases pending in appellate courts), 2006 to present
- Speaker on appellate practice at conferences for lawyers, sponsored by Calif. Continuing Education of the Bar, Hastings Center for Trial and Appellate Advocacy, Calif. State Public Defender, and local bar associations.
- Consultant to California Judicial Council.
- Consultant to American Bar Association Central & East European Law Initiative (reviewing drafts of new criminal procedure and landlord-tenant codes in Armenia, Russia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Lithuania, Montenegro, and other countries)
- Former Member of U.S. Dept. of Housing & Urban Development Advisory Panel on Land Title Recordation.
- Speaker on landlord-tenant law and practice at conferences for lawyers, judges, and law professors, sponsored by ABA, AALS, CEB, Calif. Judges Association, Calif. Center for Judicial Education, local bar associations, legal services programs, and on public and commercial radio and television.
- Served as arbitrator for American Arbitration Association.
- Elected in 1986 to 4-year term as Director of Berkeley Board of Education. Elected President of Board in 1988.
- Former President, Berkeley School Financing Corporation.